JB and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day


I have not taken my kids to see the movie Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. But I feel like my day could be a good stand in. I always know how my day is going to go based on the events of my morning—before I get to work. I had an early meeting so I had to leave the house before the kids got up. I hate doing that and especially today because I was not home last night, plus I’ve been putting in a lot of long hours lately. On the drive to the train station it started raining. I didn’t have an umbrella with me because the forecast called for no rain. When I arrived at the station I rummaged through my wallet to find money for parking. All of the machines were not accepting bills. I hadn’t parked at that particular station in a while, but I know they don’t monitor the lot on a daily basis. I took my chances because the train was due to arrive and I had to cross the tracks.

On the ride in I received a text from my coworker reminding me it was Boss’ Day, which I can’t say I’d forgotten because I didn’t  know it was today, so I was unprepared. I made it in time for my call, but then the dial-in details weren’t coming up on my phone. I went to print out the number but our printers were down. I jotted it down on a sticky and ended up joining late, even though I had gotten in early. After that I felt I was actually having a productive day. I decided I was going to leave the office at 4:30 because I wanted to pick up my son. He has a new teacher who started over a month ago whom I haven’t even met yet. I was so excited thinking about his reaction to seeing me, as my husband is always the one to pick him up unless he’s out of town. At 4:23, I received a call from my client with information I had been waiting on all day. Of course the matter was urgent, so I ended up staying at the office until well after 6:00. The last express train leaves at 6:25, and I was determined to get on it or risk not seeing my kids before they go to bed. I rushed out the door and hailed a cab. I told the driver I was in a hurry, which I learned is not a wise idea. After cutting off three lanes of traffic, taking turns at 50 mph, and pretty much driving like a maniac, we made it to the station. I boarded the train just as the doors were closing. I figured I could relax in my seat but then a panicked feeling hit me. I forgot to call the pediatrician with a question I needed answered and now it was after hours. I put it on my to do list and then checked my personal email. My daughter’s teacher responded to my question asking if a farm was an acceptable animal habitat for her diorama. I was informed that no, it is not a natural habitat, as they are learning about predators and prey, which are not present in a man-made setting. So she would have to choose something else. I then checked my book sales and sadly there were none today.

Cut to me arriving at my station. I ran to my car because I like to be one of the first cars out of the lot or I get stuck in a long line. I kept walking the rows but couldn’t find my car. Panic set in and then I realized I parked in a completely different row. As I approached my car I could see the ticket on the windshield. Guess they decided to monitor the lot today. Cut to me arriving home to screaming children who are hungry even though they just ate dinner. I allowed them extra dessert because hell, I wanted chocolate covered pretzels too. My husband had pasta waiting for me on the stove (what a guy) but my dinner had to wait because the kids needed baths. After the usual shenanigans we got the kids in their pjs and I discovered we had no more nighttime pull ups for my son. I sent my husband to Walgreens because I don’t need to deal with changing sheets in the middle of the night. At 9:17 pm I sat down to have the pasta my husband left for me before I passed out. He mentioned there was not a lot of sauce on it. I opened the lid of the pot and indeed it was on the dry side, and I’m a saucy kind of girl. I rummaged through the pantry and discovered somehow we are out of pasta sauce, a staple I always have on hand. As I ate the sorry, shriveled pasta all I wanted to do was catch up on my shows from the week. I was met with a black screen. The cable box was out so my husband got on the phone with U-verse. All I heard him repeat was, “No, no, no, agent!” Then profanities ensued. At that point it was 9:33 pm, too late to watch a show. So I ventured upstairs to vent my frustration, hence this rambling post. Now it’s almost 11:00 and I have yet to shower or pack my daughter’s lunch. Oh, and I forgot to mention that when I told my daughter she cannot do the farm diorama because it’s not a natural habitat, she said, “Oh, then I’ll do a zoo.”


2 thoughts on “JB and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

  1. Jod- SO sorry! What a day! TGIF!! I think tonight you need a Lou Mal’s with extra tomato sauce….for my saucy kind of girl :-). Xoxo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: